Monday, June 28, 2021

Nearing the End - My Journey to the Editing Stage

Last time I posted about my book, 

I said that I was trying to work towards the climax before the two year mark. Well, now a few months later, I have finally finished the first draft. I am so excited that I actually finished a book. Now it is in the editing stage.

Sometimes I like to go on Pinterest. I even have a board on writing - If I Were an Authoress. Through Pinterest, I found a blog from a writer named K. M. Weiland. Her blog, Helping Writers Become Authors , is an awesome resource for writers. I have learned a lot through her posts. When I finished the last chapter of my book, I wanted to find material on editing and getting a book published. While searching, I came upon posts from the writer I just mentioned. The posts were about character arcs. If you would like to know what a character arc is, you can go to her blog - https://www.helpingwritersbecomeauthors.com/. I learned a lot from those posts, and I decided to go back in my book and focus on each of my main characters' character arcs. I wanted to make sure that I was making my characters come to life. At least, I hope I accomplished that. Completing their character arcs took some time, but I am glad I did it. Now I feel closer to my characters and I hope my future readers will too :). 

As I wrote my book, I would edit as I wrote to get most of the spelling mistakes and grammar errors, so that helped some for the later editing stage. Finally, I realized that I needed to take a step back from The King's Heart so I could come back later with fresh eyes. Now I am having my dad read it for me. So far, he has given me really good feedback and advice. I can count on him to not be partial just because I wrote it. Every writer needs someone to read their book to give feedback and advice, I believe. Sometimes I wish it would go a little faster, but I know he has other things on his plate. Someday it will be edited as much as I can do myself, and I will be ready to send it off to a publisher.

Now, the hard part is finding a publisher. I never realized how much there went into it until I finished the first draft of my book. For all the bigger name publishers, I would need an agent. There is a publisher I had contacted a few years back, but I was no near finishing, so me and the agent I contacted stopped emailing. As I finished the first draft, I started looking into getting my book published in the hopeful near future, the publishing company I contacted came to mind. Please pray for me that the Lord will show me how to go about getting my book published. Also, if you have any advice about getting a book published, feel free to comment on the post. It would be much appreciated.😊

I am excited for what the Lord has in store for the next stage of The King's Heart in the LORD's Hands.


Keeping my heart while waiting for Him...

Elisabeth Kristine

No comments:

Post a Comment